2015 Chicago Sister Cities Medical Initiative
Through a generous grant from the Lynn Sage Cancer Research Foundation, in conjunction with the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, a competitive process awarded 14 clinicians from Chicago’s sister cities with the opportunity to attend the symposium held in Chicago.
The doctors who received the grant were:
- Accra, Ghana: Josephine Nsaful, Korlebu Teaching Hospital
- Amman, Jordan: Moh’d Basem Hamdan, King Hussein Cancer Center
- Belgrade, Serbia: Marijana Milovic, Institute for Oncology and Radiology of Serbia
- Birmingham, United Kingdom: Sekhar Marla, University Hospitals Birmingham
- Busan, Republic of Korea: Seokwon Lee, Pusan National University Hospital
- Casablanca, Morocco: Naoufal Mamou, Chems Oncologie
- Gothenburg, Sweden: Svanheidur Rafnsdottir, Sahlgrenska University Hospital
- Hamburg, Germany: Olaf Katzler, Mammazentrum Hamburg
- Lahore, Pakistan: Sheeraz Ali, Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Center
- Lucerne, Switzerland: Gitta Hornke, Neue Frauenklinik Luzern
- Milan, Italy: Valentina Gambi, Niguarda Cancer Center
- Shanghai, China: Weiqi Gao, Ruijin Hospital affiliated with Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Vilnius, Lithuania: Donatas Petrauskas, Klaipeda University Hospital
- Warsaw, Poland: Aleksandra Piorek, The Maria Skłodowska-Curie Memorial Cancer Center & Institute of Oncology
The symposium, which attracts 800 physicians, is an annual professional educational event providing recent clinical and scientific advances in breast cancer research. The program is an unrivaled opportunity to collaborate with a world renowned cancer center, to meet breast cancer experts from around the world, and to learn about practical patient care strategies and the exciting possibilities of breast cancer research.
A dinner in honor of the sister city doctors was held at Bar Toma on October 29, 2015 and was attended by members of Chicago Sister Cities International committee leadership.