The years 2015 and 2016 have been wonderful years for school exchanges between Chicago and Paris. Schools have shared ideas via emails, postcards, and Skype for some time now, and have had the chance to cross the Atlantic and meet in person. These exchanges are based on a common educational project chosen by the teachers and students and studied from their own perspectives on either side of the ocean. They work, comparing notes and seeing their differences and similarities, to produce a most interesting conclusion. They choose subjects as varied as their city’s architecture and neighborhoods to fashions or sports to produce their own “tales of two cities.”
The current school exchanges are as follows:
- The Lincoln Park High School and Lycée Louis le Grand have exchanged eleven times!
- Alcott College Prep and College George Sand
- Martin Luther King High School and Lycée Colbert
- Jones College Prep and Lycée Fénélon
- Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences (Chicago AG) and Collège Sévigné
- Von Steuben Metropolitan Science Center and Lycée Rodin
- Murray Language Academy and Collège Alberto Giacometti (Murray hopes to return in the coming year)
To witness the enthusiasm and excitement of these students as they communicate with each other and compare points of view and cultural customs is most encouraging for the future of our global society. Many will remain friends and perhaps colleagues for years to come.
Furthermore, this year Chicago Sister Cities International was able to award certificates signed by Mayor Rahm Emanuel to Alcott College Prep and Collège George Sand commemorating their official exchange as acknowledged by the City of Chicago and the Rectoral de Paris. Lincoln Park High School and Lycée Louis le Grand, Chicago Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences (Chicago AG) and Collège de Sévigné, Jones High School and Lycée Fénélon, Martin Luther King High School and Lycée Colbert, Von Steuben High School and Lycée Rodin, Murray Language Academy and Collège Alberto Giacometti have also received certificates and/or awards.