On September 18, the Kyiv Committee of Chicago Sister Cities International, the Consulate General of Ukraine and the Ukrainian Congress Committee of America Illinois Division welcomed over 400 guests to the Hilton Chicago to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of both Ukrainian independence and the Chicago-Kyiv Sister City Relationship, featuring speeches from high-level American and Ukrainian officials, including Senators Dick Durbin and Mark Kirk of Illinois and Ukraine’s Deputy Prime Minister, Crimean Tatar Leader and Chicago-born Former Finance Minister.
Natalie Martinez of NBC 5 Chicago served as the emcee for the event, which included a keynote speech by Ivanna Klympush-Tsintsadze, Vice-Prime Minister on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration of Ukraine, and performances by the American Ukrainian Youth Association CYM and the Hromovytsia Ukrainian Dance Ensemble of Chicago.
Kyiv Committee Chair Vera Eliashevsky received an award from the President of Ukraine along with Pavlo Bandriwsky. Roxana Dykyj-Pylypczak received an award from the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine.
- Larysa Gerasko, Consul General of Ukraine in Chicago
- Mark Kirk, United States Senator of the State of Illinois and Co-Vice Chairman of the Senate Ukraine Caucus
- Richard Durbin, United States Senator of the State of Illinois and Co-Chairman of the Senate Ukraine Caucus
- Mustafa Dzhemilev, Leader of the Crimean Tatar Nation and Member of the Parliament of Ukraine
- Natalie Jaresko, Former Minister of Finance of Ukraine
- Peter Roskam, Member of the U.S. Congress, Illinois
- Danny Davis, Member of the U.S. Congress, Illinois
- Oleksiy Resnikov, Deputy Mayor of the City of Kyiv
- Saulius Kuprys, President, Joint Baltic American National Committee, and President, Lithuanian American Council
- Vera Eliashevsky, Chair of the Kyiv Committee of Chicago Sister Cities International