絆 Kizuna 5 Panel Discussion: Emergency Response for Natural Disasters and Global Partnership
To commemorate the fifth anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami of 2011, the Consulate-General of Japan in Chicago will be hosting a panel discussion on emergency response and the importance of international cooperation during natural disasters.
This panel discussion on natural disasters and global partnerships seeks to spread knowledge and awareness of natural disasters and how the global community approaches these situations. By sharing the unique experiences and knowledge gathered through these tragic and disastrous events and the support from the international community, we can recognize the impact of natural disasters upon the community and the importance of global partnerships. This panel discussion aims to start a conversation that will encourage ongoing dialogue of how to create a safer and more efficient response to disasters.
- Mr. Harley Jones, Regional Disaster Officer Chicago & Northern Illinois, American Red Cross
- Hon. Generoso D.G. Calonge, Consul General of the Philippines in Chicago
- Mr. Marvin A. Brustin, Honorary Consul General of Nepal in Chicago
- Mr. Tsukasa Katsube, Consultant, Emergency Response Team, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
- Mr. Noriyuki Shiina, Former General Manager of the emergency humanitation aid organization Japan Platform
- Mr. Toshiyuki Iwado, Consul General of Japan in Chicago
- Free, but registration required (register below)
- 6:00pm start, doors open at 5:20pm
This panel discussion is part of 絆 Kizuna 5: Voices of the Youth, the fifth phase of an ongoing project focused on the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami. The first four phases consisted of yearly commemoration ceremonies, economic seminars and multidimensional photography exhibitions which toured venues in Chicago from 2012–2015.
絆 Kizuna 5: Voices of the Youth is presented by the Osaka Committee of Chicago Sister Cities International with the Consulate-General of Japan in Chicago, the Japan America Society of Chicago, the Japanese Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Chicago and the Japan External Trade Organization of Chicago.
For the full list of 絆 Kizuna 5 programming, please visit www.chicagosistercities.com/kizuna5.